Rasayana means the therapeutics, which promotes dhatus – tissues of body and increases strength and immunity against diseases. Charaka has divided the line of treatment in two types. One is to protect the health – promote tissues and increase defensive mechanism of the body in healthy individuals and second is to cure the diseases in ill individuals.
Rasa is a very first dhatu produced after intake of food which is highly nutritional fluid and supplies essential nutrition to almost all tissues. ‘Ayana’ means seat or way or house, ‘Rasayana’ means seat or house of excellent Rasa dhatu which improves quantity and quality of Rasa together in all tissues.
In charaka Samhita – chikitsa sthana 1st chapter that is the section of therapeutics begins with Rasayana chapter. It contains four sub-chapters called ‘Pada’ named as:
- Abhaya Malakiya, Rasayana: gives the different preparation of Abhaya – Terminalia Chebula and Snalaki – Embhica officinalis which are most common herbal Rasayanas.
- Prana Kameeya Rasayana: prana - means life, kam means desire. Rasayanas for them who want long life.
- Kara Prachiteeya Rasayana: Kara - is a hand – one should go to the Amalak tree and with his own hand he should get the fresh Amalak fruit and eat with specific method, which has an excellent action in body. The method is given in this chapter.
- Ayurveda Samuthaneeya Rasayana: The sages – Angira, Jamadagni, Agasti, etc., who had made great efforts to develop Ayurveda - used to take Rasayana – it deals with details.
Sushruta has also given 4 chapters in chikitsa sthana from 27 to 30 – namely, (1) Sarvopaghata shamaneaya Rasayana – means the treatment which pacifies to all diseases (2) Medhayuskameaya - means which increases intellect and life span. (3) Swabhara Vyadhi Pratishedheeya – which means prevention of Natural diseases like old age, grey hair, sleepiness etc. (4) Nivratta Santapeeya – that means the medicine which dismisses chronic fever or chronic incurable troubling diseases.
Action of Rasayana – Therapy:
The following action of Rasayana are described in all texts.
- Rasayan produces longevity
- It improves memory
- It improves intellectual power
- It cures many chronic diseases
- Maintains youth
- Creates excellent luster of skin
- Produces good complexion (prabha)
- Produces good voice
- Increases the strength of body and power of sense organs
- Increases power of psyche and maintains healthy psychic condition by producing satva guna.
- Charaka says ‘speech becomes successful’ that means whatever one speaks it becomes truth
Drugs used in Rasayana therapy:
There are herbal, minerals and also animal drugs which are used in Rasayana therapy.
|No.||Ayurvedic Name||Latin Name|
|4.||Triphala||Combination of No. 1,2 & 3|
|8.||Bala-Ati bala||Sida corditolia & yellow varify of sida corditolia|
|13.||Jeevanti||Lepta denia Reticulata|
|17.||Suvarna||Gold - Special preparation form of ashes|
|18.||Abraka||Mica - Special preperation form of ashes|
|19.||Rajat||Silver - Special preperation form of ashes|
|20.||Krishna loha||Iron - Special preperation form of ashes|
Kinds of Rasayana :-
Rasayana is of two types.
- Kuti Praveshika – To be taken in specific type of room in the hospital.
- Vatatapika – To be taken in any type of climate, at home.
The following Rasayana are very powerful to get the maximum effect :
- Bramha Rasayana
- Chavan Prasha
- Amalak Rasayana
Sushruta has described following very common recipes as Rasayana
- Only cooled water
- Only pure milk.
- Only pure honey.
- Only pure ghee.
- Water + milk.
- Water + honey.
- Water + ghee.
- Milk + Honey.
- Milk + ghee.
- Honey + ghee. In unequal quantity
- Water + milk + honey.
- Water + milk + ghee
- Milk + honey + ghee
- Water + honey + ghee.
- Water + honey + ghee + milk. – All these recipes have tissue promoting action.
The following Rasayana are used for a particular type of tissue (Dhatu).
- For Rasa – Shatavari, Bala, Pippali
- For Rakta – Blood, Meat, Juice, Iron etc.
- For mamsa – Shatavari, Nagabala, Shilajatu.
- For Meda – Ashwagandha, Ajasthi, Guggulu
- For Asthi – Ajasthi, Praval, Mukta (Pearls), Sudha (calcium) etc.
- For Majja – Medhya Rasayana, Aindra Rasayana, Shankha puspi
- For Shukra – Vajiekarna like Coucha Paka (preparation of Mucuna Pruriens)
- For Kapha dosha – Bhallataka, pippali, Trifala
- For Pitta Dosha – Amalaki, Shatavari
- For vata dosha – pippali, Aswagandha, guduchi